Monday, October 15, 2012

Homemade Tortilla Chips (with no oven)

Good morning everyone! I'm continuing on a cooking spree, because I'm feeling quite ill and don't want to leave the house. Thankfully my lovely boyfriend has been bringing groceries home, so I can relax here.

Today, I made tortilla chips from a thin Russian bread called lavash. I couldn't find any tortilla chips here, so I reasoned that I could just fry some of my own. It turned out well, and the results go well with salsa and sour cream (the avocados here are questionable, so sadly no guacamole). It's very simple to make, but it requires constant attention!


Homemade Tortilla Chips

Ingredients and Cost:
Lavash (1 or 2 large pieces): 1.50 GEL
Salt: .50 GEL
Olive Oil: 4 GEL

2 large pieces of lavash will get you the equivalent of a family size of chips, and will cost about 1.75 USD to make. Simple, right?
1) Turn on a burner, cover the bottom of a pan or pot with olive oil, and wait for the oil to heat up. Have pieces of lavash, in the size of chips that you want, ready to toss in the pot.
2) Fry them until golden brown, flipping to ensure evenness.
3) Once the chips have been fried, carefully remove them from the pot, lightly salt, and place more pieces of lavash in the pot. Do this until you have fried all of your bread! You may have to pour more olive oil into the pan throughout this process.

Once all the chips have been fried and salted, let them cool, add some salsa or cheese, and feast!!

Thanks for reading :)

Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment