Friday, October 12, 2012

An Unexpected Tour

Good evening my dears! As some of you know, I've been in the Republic of Georgia for about a month now (I've been awful about blogging, that will be remedied). I've been living in Tbilisi, but mostly cooking for myself and just going to school.

Given the domestic nature of my life, I was alarmed when my parents decided to come and visit me last weekend. I've barely started exploring the city, much less acquired enough knowledge to give tours to someone else! So, when they got here, I did what any sensible person would do- I told them they needed a tour guide.

After my boyfriend and I negotiated a tour of the city, my family and I were picked up the next day by a smiling chain-smoking man by the name of Dato, and a lovely English and Russian speaking tour guide named Tamara. We then embarked on an epic 4 hour tour of the city, visiting places that I'd never heard of, alarmed churchgoers (it was Sunday), and even spotting the Patriarch of the Georgian Orthodox Church!

 This is a picture of my parents in their palatial hotel on Rustaveli Ave. Notice the chandeliers...and the marble.
This is a view of Tbilisi from one of the many churches on the mountains here. You can see the old fortress on the mountainside, as well as the older buildings in Old Tbilisi. 

 Oh no, another church on a hill :) But really, it's a Georgian tradition! This is the famous church that overlooks Tbilisi.
 My parents conveniently arrived the weekend of Tbilisoba, which is Tbilisi's Days. There was a carnival in the streets, and horses everywhere. The smell of kebab filled the air!
 This is the Trinity Church, the most important church in the Georgian Orthodox Church. Every Sunday the Patriarch sits there on his throne and ministers to his followers. As you can see, it's massive, and covered in ornate decorations. The inside is cavernous as well, and filled with beautiful paintings of saints.

Well, that's all for now! Thanks for reading :)

Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment