Thursday, February 14, 2013

Road Tripping

Good afternoon everyone! Today I'm going to talk about how to make your road trip more fun, healthier, and less stressful. For those of you that don't know me, I've driven over 10,000 miles in the past four years on account of my friends and family being scattered all over the States. My husband lives in Ohio, and I live in Illinois, so for the past 1.5 years we've had to drive to see each other. The miles add up pretty quickly, and if you don't plan right, the trip can seem interminable. To ease your 8 hour road trip extravaganza, I have some tips I'd like to share with you!

1) Cleanliness. If you're going to be spending 6+ hours in your car, even if you're not a neat freak like I am, you're going to want to clean your car before you leave. This is not only so that you feel comfortable in your environment, but so that the eventual mess that will be your passenger seat at the end of this trip is only from this trip, not from the past year. Your car will probably be cluttered again by the end of this trip, but think about cleaning your car of trash and stains so that you have less to deal with at the end of your day. This includes SMELLS!  Try to avoid discovering a half-eaten 3-month-old quesadilla two hours into your trip, and invest in a scent dispenser for your car. A small garbage bag is also a good way to contain the mess.

This is my Pepe' No Pew. He dispenses a lovely scent!


2) Nutrition. Speaking of strange foods in your car, if you want to stay alert during this trip, I recommend bringing your own food. Finding healthy food along the way is going to be either hard or expensive, and why bother when you can cook some snacks and stash them in your car? Try to pack a lot energy-packed foods to give you energy when you start drooping, like fruits and granola bars. I personally like Luna Protein bars, because I'm a veggie and I can never get enough protein.

My fave flavor. It tastes like portable Christmas!

3) Drinks vs. Amount of Pee Breaks. I'm going to be honest, sometimes I just get thirsty when I drive, and I don't think about what I'm going to need to do in an hour. I stopped 4 times to pee on my last trip back from Ohio, which is very strange for me. Frankly, if you're drinking coffee or Red Bull, be aware that it's going to make you pee, and that's going to add time to your trip. If you do decide you need energy, eat some food as well, so the liquids don't go right though your digestive system. And while it is important to stay hydrated when driving, if you're stopping to pee every hour, you're drinking too much water.

...don't do this. 

4) Finding Cheap Gas. As I'm sure anyone who lives in Chicago can tell you, gas is mad expensive compared to the rest of the state. You'll find that this is true in many major cities, and very remote locations as well. If you're passing through major cities on your trip, try to avoid buying gas in them. It won't save you that much on one tank, but if you make a habit of it, you'll have enough money to buy that cute scent dispenser...


5) Driving at Night. Some of you will disagree with me on this, but I prefer driving at night because the roads are less congested, the drivers are usually more courteous, and no one can see me rapping in my car. If you find it difficult to stay awake while driving short distances at night, this is not for you. However, I've found it very useful when on short visits to friends that are far away- by driving at night, I gain a day to spend with them, although I might be a little drowsy. I think it's a good use of time, but make sure that you either have someone else with you, or you're used to this schedule.

Me driving at night. Not an exaggeration. 

6) Being Prepared. There are a few things that you're going to need to keep in your car if you're driving lost distances alone, possible at night. Here is a short list...
a) spare tire, and the knowledge to change it
b) blanket or sleeping bag, if you get stranded
c) container of spare gas, if you have a truck bed (it will stink up a car)
d) 3-4 bottles of water
e) flashlight
f) hand-held battery-operated radio
g) First Aid kit
h) tire guage
i) spare fluid of every kind for your car, including this magical substance:

It comes from many brands, but if you don't have a spare tire, this stuff is great to have.

Well, that's it for now! Try to enjoy your road trip, and keep an eye on your gas light and tire pressure. Many happy travels!

Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment