Saturday, September 24, 2011

Security, Beads, and Research Papers

Good afternoon!

I can't remember if I mentioned this in a previous post, but my house got broken into a few weeks ago, so my mom decided to tighten security a bit. Formerly, we had a glass door with a sliding metal grate, and a solid metal door that opens (it's about 7 feet tall). There was a space of about 8 inches between the top of the metal grate and the cement above the door that wasn't secured, and that's how the thief got in.

She had a metal grill put in above the metal grate, and soon I'm going to have a metal grate on my window as well. However, I ran into trouble today because I locked the keys (to everything, it's one keychain) in the yard outside of the aforementioned security measures. The metal grate is secured with a padlock, and there's no other way to get out to the lawn, so I had to break out of the house. Thankfully mom wasn't home, or she might have had a heart attack (I'm still not sure how I'm going to explain this...I'm thinking it might be better left unsaid).

On the upside, I've found something to do to help Kyle out with his NGO. I've decided to gather jewelry from the ladies that sell it outside the malls nearby my house, and sell it when I get back.  Now, I look like a bead hoarder because my desk is covered with necklaces, bracelets, earrings, hair pieces, and keychains! When I come around the mall on Friday and Saturday, the bead ladies give me crazy discounts because they know I'm coming back. The necklaces I'm buying are usually about 1USD, and I plan on selling them for about 7USD when I get back, so the only limit to this endeavor is how much money I can spend on it, and how much space I have in my luggage!

We have a Swahili midterm this week, and several papers (short ones) due at the end of the week. We also have about 5 term papers due at the end of the program, which I'm not looking forward to writing...15 page research papers aren't my favorite. It also looks like I may have to write them by hand, and then copy them, because I won't have electricity at the new digs in October and November. Although there IS a solar powered netbook that just came out here...tempting!

Well, this is going to be a short one, because I'm off to the gym. Hope everyone in the US has a good Saturday!

Mia

No comments:

Post a Comment